SignIndustry.com - The Online Magazine for the Sign Trade.
Home | Site Map | Buyer's Guide Search  
Event Calendar Article Archive Message Boards Classifieds Product Showcases News Advertise Search Join Now

CATEGORIES
  3-D Signs
  ADA
  Architectural
  Awnings &
  Flexible Face
  Banners
  Business Development
  CNC Routing
  Computer Technology
  Digital Imaging
  Dynamic Digital
  Electric
  Estimating
  Finishing & Lams 
  Flatbed UV
  Garment Decoration
  Installation
  LED Displays
  LED Lighting
  Neon & LED
  Channel Letter
  Outdoor
  Painted Signs
  Screen Printing
  Sublimation
  Vinyl Signs
  Hot Shots
  Press Releases
  Tips & Tricks
  Industry Resources
  Books
  Event Calendar
  Associations
  Business Center
  Retail Sign Shops
  Advertising Info

Supply 55 BannerPRO, EcoPRO continuous ink supply system, guardian laminators, quickmount

MESSAGE BOARDS

Updated: November 23 2017 - Feel free to post below. By doing so, you are agreeing to follow our Acceptable Use Policy. If you'd like to contact us, drop us an e-mail here.

General : 

Sponsors

Pro Vehicle Outlines 2016 car and truck wrap templates
Estimate Software- Printing software for the rest of us.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Help Vinyl Doesn't Stick!
Posted by: ZsVinylINC (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2007 11:36AM

I am looking for some help. I am currently working on a project to possibly do a couple of car toppers or the signs that pizza places put on the top of their delivery vehicles. The big problem though is that the plastic they are made from is so smooth the vinyl doesn't want to stick to them. When I try and pull the premask off the graphic comes back off with it.

I was wondering if anyone had ever had a situation like this and if so what could you use to help get the vinyl to stick. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sean W. Zakany
President, Z's Vinyl, INC
www.zsvinyl.com

Re: Help Vinyl Doesn't Stick!
Posted by: jhoover (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 26, 2007 09:04PM

Pre mask on vynil will stretch it, what kind of plastic ? Lexan ? you may have to bake it.

Posted by: jhoover (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 26, 2007 09:15PM

Why premask vynil, Have u baked the plastic ?

Posted by: metrosignmn (---.mspdsl.eschelon.com)
Date: September 29, 2007 03:12PM

I've had this problem before. The plastic the car toppers are made from is a very "unstable" product. It continues to gas out and forces the vinyl away from the surface. The manufacturer usually provides a vinyl swatch with a very aggressive adhesive that you lay down first and then put your vinyl on top of. This does not always solve the problem. The best way seems to be to carefully heat the surface with a blow torch to burn off the gases or bake it in 200 degree oven for a few hours. Watch carefully for any deforming of the plastic. When it is cooled you should be able to apply your vinyl. We found the same problem with plastic a-frames and solved it by putting the graphics on a coro panel and then attaching it to the a-frame.

Posted by: ZsVinylINC (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2007 08:46PM

Thanks everyone for your tips I really appreciate it. Metrosignmn I also had that same problem with A-frames and found out really quickly that you needed to put it on Coro and then attach the coro.

Thanks again everyone.

Sean W. Zakany
President, Z's Vinyl, INC
www.zsvinyl.com

Posted by: park (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2007 12:10PM

Quote:
It continues to gas out and forces the vinyl away from the surface.

This is such nonsence. It has nothing to do with "outgassing" The word outgassing is just another excuse for not knowing what the real problem is. Just another excuse that noobs use for a reason to blame something other than their own lack of experience.

That type of plastic needs something called corona treatment. Essentially use a blow torh to heat the surface to heat treat it. Not till it blisters but just before it changes color or blisteres.

In fact there is a patent on heat treating plastic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Clarke Systems Architectural Signage Systems Wayfinding ADA

Company
Home
Advertising Info
About Us
Contact Us
Privacy Policy
Site Map
Resources
Industry Resources
Associations
Retail Sign Shops
Books
Product Showcase
Event Calendar
Tips & Tricks
Message Boards
Classifieds
Buyer's Guide Listings
Search
Add My Company
Edit My Company

Copyright 1999-2017, All Rights Reserved.