SignIndustry.com - The Online Magazine for the Sign Trade.
Home | Site Map | Buyer's Guide Search  
Event Calendar Article Archive Message Boards Classifieds Product Showcases News Advertise Search Join Now

CATEGORIES
  3-D Signs
  ADA
  Architectural
  Awnings &
  Flexible Face
  Banners
  Business Development
  CNC Routing
  Computer Technology
  Digital Imaging
  Dynamic Digital
  Electric
  Estimating
  Finishing & Lams 
  Flatbed UV
  Garment Decoration
  Installation
  LED Displays
  LED Lighting
  Neon & LED
  Channel Letter
  Outdoor
  Painted Signs
  Screen Printing
  Sublimation
  Vinyl Signs
  Hot Shots
  Press Releases
  Tips & Tricks
  Industry Resources
  Books
  Event Calendar
  Associations
  Business Center
  Retail Sign Shops
  Advertising Info

Supply 55 BannerPRO, EcoPRO continuous ink supply system, guardian laminators, quickmount

MESSAGE BOARDS

Updated: November 17 2017 - Feel free to post below. By doing so, you are agreeing to follow our Acceptable Use Policy. If you'd like to contact us, drop us an e-mail here.

24: Vinyl : 

Sponsors

Girffin Signs Inc. Online Auction November 21 at noon.
Girffin Signs Inc. Online Auction November 21 at noon.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Unscratchable Digital Vinyl UV Recommendation?
Posted by: mcaramb (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 12:54AM

Hi, we are using a DesignJet 5000 with UV inks and are trying to find a vinyl substrate that will last at least 3-6 months as outdoor pole banners. The trick is that we need one that won't require lamination to keep it from scratching easily. We simply can't afford a laminator at this time.

I've tried the HP Opaque Scrim (and used the corresponding profile), and several other brands of scrim, but the ink is easily scratched off on all of them regardless of a myriad of settings i've tried on the plotter. I understand this is somewhat normal for vinyl and UV, but I have seen a stock that does pretty darn good without lamination (see below), but don't know what it is...

Does anyone have any outdoor vinyl recommendations that DO NOT require lamination to keep the ink from being scratched off?

This is a big problem for us as we are stitching pole pockets and the sewing machine dogs are scratching the bejeezus out of the print.

I know there is such a product as we got this plotter used, and it came with a vinyl stock about 12-14mil thick, with a reinforced (square grid pattern) on the back. It actually works VERY well without being laminated. Very difficult to scratch the ink off. However, the roll isn't marked and are having trouble locating more or the same type. I think it works because it's somewhat thin (about 10 ounces) and the surface is rougher than the other scrims due to the reinforcing grid pattern on the back pushing through somewhat, thus the ink has more to hold onto. I mean, put a screwdriver to it and it'll scratch, but I can't scratch it with just a fingernail, also my sewing dogs leave it alone as well.

I had read something about Avery UVM stock which also seems to do exactly what I need, but am unable to find a vendor that sells it. I don't even know if it really exists :)

I am very new at this, and do not know what else is available. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Has any one had exceptional luck with an "unscratchable" outdoor vinyl?

Thanks,
-Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Company
Home
Advertising Info
About Us
Contact Us
Privacy Policy
Site Map
Resources
Industry Resources
Associations
Retail Sign Shops
Books
Product Showcase
Event Calendar
Tips & Tricks
Message Boards
Classifieds
Buyer's Guide Listings
Search
Add My Company
Edit My Company

Copyright 1999-2017, All Rights Reserved.